Top 5 Reasons Behind Choosing Beekeeping As A Profession
Beekeeping is an interesting profession and can be done successfully when you are fascinated in doing it. It involves maintaining bee colonies that are inside man-made hives. The place where bees are kept is called bee yard or apiary. The main purpose of the beekeepers is to collect honey, beeswax, propolis, flower pollen, bee pollen, and royal jelly. They also do it to pollinate crops and for the production of more bees to sale it to other beekeepers.
Beekeeping profession was mainly started during World War II when sugar was less available. Many people had started it on a small scale and now it turned into a full-time large business. Beekeeping is becoming widely popular due to the reasons mentioned below:
- Profitable Business: It is a profitable business as there are many things that you can sell doing beekeeping such as honey, waxes, etc. It is easy to set up and with proper management, beekeeping can turn into a profitable business.
- Selling Honey: Honey is the most selling and a highly popular bee product among the consumers. As an average per year, each beehive can produce from 20 to 60 pounds of honey, depending on the location, weather, and temperature. If the condition is favorable, then the hive can produce more honey than expected.
- Beeswax Marketing: Beeswax is in demand because of its different kinds of usage. It can be used in making candles, soap, lotions, and lip balms. Many companies are getting successful by making candles and lips balms using beeswax. The quality and color of wax can change the price of the beeswax selling price. Products that are by handmade wax are getting more popular in both retail stores and online craft.
- Propolis Selling: Bees use propolis to seal small gaps in the hive. Propolis is very beneficial for medical use due to its antioxidant properties. It can be used to treat sores and boosts immunity. It is also used in chewing gum, car wax, and some cosmetics.
- Pollen: Pollen of bees is known as a superfood as it boosts immunity and provides many health benefits like as an antioxidant, treats seasonal allergy, and helps to treat osteoporosis. They are available in drug stores and health stores.
The temporary placement of hives is also on-demand by many agricultural producers to provide pollination service. This contract can be for three to five weeks and money can be made through this service too. Learning bee hiving skills is easy and can be learned by joining any beehive club. With this business, you can not only benefit society, but the products can also be used in your home as well. You can gift jar of homemade local honey for Christmas or as a birthday gift and people will love to take it with open arms. Children at home can also take part in this process and carry with them throughout life. But before starting beekeeping get more ideas from other beekeepers and then start.